Mathematics - Grade 6
In Grade 6, instructional time should focus on four critical areas: (1) connecting ratio and rate to whole number multiplication and division and using concepts of ratio and rate to solve problems; (2) completing understanding of division of fractions and extending the notion of number to the system of rational numbers, which includes negative numbers; (3) writing, interpreting, and using expressions and equations; and (4) developing understanding of statistical thinking.
Grade 6 Overview
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
* Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
The Number System
* Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions.
* Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
* Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
Expressions and Equations
* Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
* Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
* Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
* Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
Statistics and Probability
* Develop understanding of statistical variability.
* Summarize and describe distributions.
Scope and Sequence
Topics 1-8 - Topics: 1 (Algebra: Understand Numerical and Algebraic Expressions), 2 (Algebra: Solve Equations and Inequalities) 3 (Rational Numbers) 4 (Algebra: Coordinate Geometry) 5 (Algebra: Patterns and Equations), 6 (Fluently Divide Whole Numbers) 7 (Fluently Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Decimals) 8 (Common Factors and Multiples)
Topics: 9-16 Topic 9 (Ratio Concepts and Reasoning) 10 (Ratio Concepts: Rates) 11 (Ratio Concepts: Percent) 12 (Divide Fractions by Fractions) 13 (Solve Area Problems) 14 (Solve Surface Are and Volume Problems) 15 (Measures of Center and Variability) and 16 (Display and Summarize Data)
NJSLA preparation. Workbooks, review.
NJSLA Testing, Step Up to 7th Grade, Problem Solving, Group projects and Workbooks.
Group projects and workbooks