NAVIANCE COLLEGE PROCESS
What Do You Need to Apply to College?
- Completed Senior Brag Sheet Survey (under about me)
- SAT/ACT scores for colleges who need this. YOU MUST REQUEST YOUR SCORES DIRECTLY FROM COLLEGE BOARD OR ACT TO BE SENT TO THE COLLEGES.
- Completed Resume (if college requires)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Signed Transcript Release Form that is mailed to you over the summer.
- Regular Decision: Apply by the deadline. This is the most common application type.
- Rolling Admissions: There is usually no deadline or it is very late in the year.
- Early Action: You apply early and get back your decision early.
- Early Decision: This is binding. You are basically signing a contract saying that if you are accepted you are definitely going to this school. If you back out, they can take you to court. You should only apply early decision if you are 100% sure you want to go.
Common Application: www.commonapp.org
- If you are using the Common App, you must match it to Naviance. Before going to Naviance, you must complete the FERPA section of the Common App under the college tabs. Go to the College Tab, Colleges I am Applying to and then to the blue box asking you to match your account.
- You must mark off if you used common app or not by going to your Colleges I am Applying to List, and then clicking unknown and marking yes or no.
How to Complete the Senior Brag Sheet:
- Log onto Naviance
- Click About Me
- Surveys to Take: Senior Brag Sheet (left hand side)
- YOU MUST HAVE YOUR SENIOR BRAG SHEET DONE BEFORE DOING THIS.
Letters of Recommendation:
- YOU MUST REQUEST A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM A TEACHER THROUGH NAVIANCE AND SPEAK TO THEM IN PERSON. YOU MUST CHOOSE 2 AND ONLY 2. IF YOU CHOOSE MORE, THE REQUESTS WILL BE DELETED!!!!! IF YOU NEED MORE THAN TWO YOU MUST TALK TO YOUR COUNSELOR FIRST. Counselor letter can be additional or included in the 2.
- You must have your college list built and in naviance before requesting letters.
- You must tell teachers when their letters are due. You should tell them to have it done two weeks prior to the day you plan to apply.
- Teachers should be given at least one month notice. Teachers have the right to deny a request.
- COUNSELOR LETTER: DO NOT REQUEST ON NAVIANCE. REQUEST IN PERSON OR EMAIL.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Now you can choose what teachers you want for each college. If you add colleges after you request letters of recommendation you must request for those colleges.
- Go to Colleges
- Go to Colleges I am Applying To
- Scroll to the bottom where is says Letters of Recommendation and click the link Letters of Recommendation Section
- Click add request. From there, you will use the drop down box to choose your teachers.
- Click Submit when finished.
- Go to College Tab
- Click Colleges I am Thinking About
- Here you can either choose the super match or the advanced college search
- For super match add in the search criteria. If you do not have an SAT score, estimate one to use.
- For advanced college search choose your major, location, and type (either 2 year or 4 year). If you are going to play a sport, choose that as well.
- Once the list is complete, you can use the drop down boxes to sort out information. I usually choose Average SAT Math and Average SAT Verbal.
College Visits:(only seniors can do this)
- Click College Tab.
- Colleges I am Thinking About
- Left hand side, My Colleges, College Visits
- Click Sign Up if you want to go.
*** All of your parents have been sent codes to register on Naviance. Please share all of this important information with them. It is encouraged to involve your parents in this process. If they need help or have any questions, have them email your counselor.
***VERY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY TO COLLEGES***
In order for Guidance to send out your letters of recommendation and transcripts, you must notify us of what schools you are applying to and when you actually apply. The transcript and letter of recommendations are the last piece of information to go out.
YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOUR COLLEGE LIST IS UP-TO-DATE
- IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SEND OUT YOUR SAT/ACT SCORES. YOU CAN DO THIS BY GOING TO COLLEGEBOARD.COM OR ACTSTUDENT.ORG.
- Go to the College Tab, then Colleges I am Applying to link. Here is where you add the colleges.
- Go to the drop down and start typing in the college name
- Then add the app type (this is how you are applying, regular decision, rolling, early action, early decision) You must research and know what each school offers and what you want to do. This is important because your teacher can see the deadlines for letters.
- Then, I’ll submit my application is where you choose if you are applying using common app or if you are applying directly to the school. Very Important because if it is commo teachers who wrote a letter and counselor must fill out additional forms.
- If you have submitted your application, click that you have.
- DO NOT REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS UNTIL YOU DO THE STEPS BELOW.
- When you are ready for us to send out the transcript you must:
- Go to the College Tab, Colleges I am Applying to.
- If the school is COMMON APP and you did not use it click the question next to the college asking if you applied through common app and check no.
- Click the box next to the college/s you want us to send your transcript and letters of recommendations to, then click REQUEST TRANSCRIPT, which is a small blue link under the heading Colleges I am Applying to.
You must do all of the following before Guidance will send out a letter of recommendation and transcript.
- Make sure your college list is up to date.
- Provide us with addressed, stamped, envelopes for colleges that require us to mail to.
- Request transcripts online.
- Update college list by marking that you have applied and sent in the application.
** Just to be safe, you may also want to drop in by Guidance to let us know that you have requested transcripts. Remember it is your future!! Take pride in it and be responsible!
You can check the status of your transcripts and letters of recommendation you requested to be sent out by going to Colleges I am Applying To. Go the heading Transcript, which is to the right of the college listed, it will say sent.
In Naviance, you will need to mark if you have been accepted or rejected to colleges.
- Go to Colleges
- Colleges I am applying to
- To the right of a college, you will see Results. Click it.
- Find the college you are looking for and do the following:
- Check the APPLICATION SUBMITTED box.
- Drop down the box by RESULT and choose which applies to you.
There are many opportunities for scholarships.
- Many scholarships are listed on naviance and I will email you as well when new ones come in.
- Local scholarships do not come out until late winter/early spring. But do not only apply to those. There are hundreds of outside scholarships that many of our students have won.
- There are links on your homepage to many scholarship search websites.
How to Find Scholarships on Naviance
- Go to colleges
- Scroll down to scholarships and money
- Click National Scholarship Search or Scholarship List.